Monday, July 4, 2011

Tour of the Yucatan: June 27 ❤ Campeche

We slept in, ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant (it was included :) ), and then went back to the room.  We got our stuff together, relaxed a bit, and took pictures on the beach outside of the room before we left. 

Our beachfront room at the Tucan Siho Playa hotel in Campeche.

The patio and beach area outside of our hotel room.

Overlooking the beach outside of our room in Campeche.

The dock outside of our hotel room in Campeche.

We ate lunch at the hotel restaurant too and decided to go to the hotel beach and pool since we could see it from the window in the restaurant.  We asked to take a picture of a tequila rifle since I wanted to show my landlord.  :)  They picked it up and put it in our hands and then ran to get a sombrero for us to wear in the picture.

The tequila rifle at the Tucan Siho Playa restaurant.

Sombrero and tequila gun.  How much more Mexican can you get???  ;)

After leaving the hotel restaurant, we asked for towels at the front desk, changed into our suits, and went out to the beach.  The water wasn't as warm and clear as in Cancun, so we ended up just swimming in the pool.  I showed Juan some of the tricks that my sister and I used to do in the pool when we were little.  After that we sat in the lounge chairs to dry off and told each other stories from our childhoods.  It sprinkled on and off, but it wasn't raining too much like it had in the morning.  We played pool for a bit until we decided to catch the bus back to the downtown area.  I won the first game and I ended the second game when we both could have won right at the end because I had to run to the bathroom before our bus came.  The woman at the front desk suggested the restaurant La Pigua, so after we stored our luggage at the ADO station, we took a taxi to the restaurant since it was raining hard.

La Pigua was fancy and more expensive than any other place we had eaten, but since it was raining, we stayed there to eat.  I got pampano en salsa de mariscos (a whole fish with seafood salsa), and Juan ordered filete relleno de mariscos (fish filet stuffed with seafood).  Mine was a whole fish and Juan showed me where all the best meat was.  He said the most flavorful meat was in the cheeks.  I tried it but it tasted way too fishy for me.  The meals were really good though.  

My yummy dinner at La Pigua.  This was the first time I ate snail!!!  It was good!!!

Juan and his filet at the Pigua.

I wanted to eat something chocolatey and the waiter recommended a place called Italian Coffee.  We went in a taxi and he gave us an inadvertent tour of the Malecon before going to the place in the downtown area.  He thought there was an Italian Coffee on the Malecon but was mistaken.  I was glad to have seen it even if it was from a taxi.  Italian coffee was good, but we ate too much sugar and my stomach never recovered.  Juan ordered a caramel frappe and a turtle cake and I got a hot chocolate with panna and an oreo cheesecake.


We walked around the downtown area of Campeche, popping into shops to look around.  I really liked the area, but it was raining too much to really enjoy it.  The cathedral and a nearby park were lit up and really pretty.  


The cathedral in downtown Campeche.

The park in downtown Campeche.

After a bit, we caught a taxi back to the ADO station before the luggage storage closed at 10 PM.  We got our tickets for earlier than planned.  I was a bit worried what we were going to do getting into Palenque at 3 or 4 AM, but Juan didn't think it would be a problem.  He thought hotels were all open 24 hours.  The bus ride to Palenque is rough an we slept about 3 hours straight, but the other two were interrupted by bumps and rough road.  

Next stop: Palenque...

No comments:

Post a Comment