Friday, January 21, 2011

Escuela de Concepcion

This morning we had mango, bread and hot chocolate for breakfast.  Then Lauren and I went with Tino in a taxi to Concepcion.  There were three classes of different age groups.  Lauren and I taught the younger ones together.  We taught them the alphabet, numbers and how to say "My name is" and "I am X Years old."  They are all very sweet.  After that class, Tino brought the older students over to us.  They know more English than the younger ones.  We asked them to answer what their names were and where they were from in English.  Then Tino told us to go over colors with them.  They asked us how to say many different colors in English and then told us what colors their shirts, shoes, and pants were.  We told them how to say many different types of shoes and I tried to draw high heels.  I told them I'm no good at drawing.  :)  I asked them to tell us what type of animal they would like to be.  Tino started laughing at that question.  He said he wanted to be a tiger.  After that, they asked us how to say many different types of animals.  We were having so much fun with them that we went over our time.  Lauren said she'd never seen kids so happy to be at school and learning.  Tino said they were all very happy.

We walked down the street to find a combi, but when it came by, it was really full so we didn't take it.  While we were waiting for another, we saw a herd of cattle coming down the road with the owners hitting them with sticks to keep them moving.  Lauren had her camera and took a picture.  I'll have to bring mine so I don't miss another opportunity like that.  I asked Tino why there were so many dogs on the street.  He said he wasn't sure, but he thought there were probably more dogs than people.  We ended up taking a taxi back to Huancayo instead of riding the combi.

The other volunteers were already eating lunch when we got back to the house.  I hadn't realized how hungry I was and at the soup, cucumber and avocado salad, and chicken pasta way too fast.  Lauren said she did the same thing and we were both holding our stomachs.

We have a few hours to relax before we go up to the mountain school.  After that will be dinner and then the other volunteers and I are going to watch a movie in town.

1 comment:

  1. Too bad you didn't have clay to sculpture some high heels. We all know you are good at that.

    ReplyDelete