Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Monday afternoon and Tuesday

Yesterday after lunch, I worked on Tino’s website to sell his and other local people’s art.  I talked with him about naming his store Tino Andino, since he had used that as a username for an account he has.  He said he liked it, so I designed a logo for him, drawing an outline of a gourd next to the store name and the motto.  He and Mari both really liked it.  The other volunteers liked it as well.  My very first logo!
After that, I was tired but satisfied with my work.  We ate dinner and then after dinner, Tino and Mari helped Ylfa and I to with our weaving.  I got a lot more weaving done with Tino’s help.  It’s coming along really nicely.  I got so caught up in weaving that I lost track of time and when I asked Tino what time it was, it was already 8:30.  I had told his family that we would have class from 8 to 9 every night.  I got my things together and we started class shortly after.  By the time class was over at 9:30, I was thoroughly exhausted.  I still managed to correct their homework before taking a shower and heading to bed.
In the morning, Lauren and I were planning to go to Concepcion again.  After breakfast we were downstairs getting our shoes on when Tino came down and told us that the woman in Concepcion had called and said we weren’t going to have class there anymore.  Tino told us to write up a document about what we had taught in each class.  After we had finished, we walked down to Plaza Vea to get a few things from the supermarket and then from there went to the open market.  I wanted to find the skirt I had seen on Saturday.  Unfortunately the market is like a big maze and finding that skirt might be like trying to find a needle in a haystack.  We found where the majority of the stands selling skirts were and I tried on a few before getting a simple skirt and also one that has a lot of embroidery on the bottom.  Lauren wanted to get some more raisins, so we stumbled our way around until we found our way back to the fruit.  As we walked through the rows of fruit, vegetables and meat, we saw guinea pigs fileted, splayed open on their backs showing all of their guts inside.  There were several of them lined up on tables along the walkways.  Lauren got her raisins and I got some plums, cherimoyas, and a papaya, all for about $2.50.  The woman at the fruit stall we usually go to cuts off samples of fruit to try in order to get you to buy more.  I got a sample of the plums and also some pears.  On Saturday she had given us a whole banana to sample.  After we made our purchases, we were proud of ourselves that we found our way back to the street without getting caught up in the maze.  I stopped by a store to make copies for my class with Tino’s family and then we went home for lunch.
After lunch I lay down to take a short nap and ended up sleeping for a couple hours.  I got up and started working on Tino’s art website again.  Tino came by a bit before 6 to get me started on my weaving early, so we could start the English class on time after dinner.  Tino and I talked while he helped me with my weaving.  We had been talking about dancing over the weekend and I had told him that I danced ballet while growing up as well as other dances.  He was excited when I told him I had danced ballet and asked if I would teach Angela and Pilar.  I told him I could, so when I asked him when I should start classes, he told me tomorrow morning.  Lauren had also said she wanted to take an adult ballet class, so Tino said she could stay and take the class, too.  I think I will be teaching it for two or three weeks, since Pilar and Angela go off to school at the beginning of March.  I also told him that I enjoy singing and he said he wanted the students at the mountain school to be able to sing the Condor’s Pass.  He asked if I would be able to teach them.  I told him I could try after I learned the song.
I had to stop weaving to eat dinner and then I taught my late-night English class for Tino’s family.  Now I’m watching The King’s Speech with James, Fiona, and Emil.  I’m excited to start teaching the ballet class in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment