Sunday, March 13, 2011

Domingo (Sunday) and El Parque De Identidad

Today was another lazy day.  I think everyone was tired after the big group left, so we didn't plan to do much.  I have been wanting to go to El Parque de Identidad for awhile because it's on a lot of postcards.  We ended up heading out there at around 3 in the afternoon.  It's pretty close and we walked there pretty quickly.  There is a big gourd in the center of it, right as you walk in.  It's a beautiful park with lots of mosaics made out of stone, on the walls and the ground.  Almost all of the ground we walked on had designs, mosaics made out of stone.  There were lots of trees and flowers and even though it was sprinkling there was a lot of sunshine and light in the park.  I really liked it.  It seems like it would be a good place to go and relax with a book.  I am so horrible with directions though, I'd be afraid I'd get lost!!!  :)

Doane looks like a giant next to this traditional house.

There were a lot of bridges like this, fashioned out of branches.
We climbed up these steps to get a bird's-eye view of the park.
The giant gourd in the center of the park.
Me with my sign...Virgo!!!
Part of the park had the signs of the zodiac around it.  They also had the months written in Spanish and Quechua.  There was also a castle made of stone.  We were sad that only children under 10 could climb up into the castle.  Doane wanted to test the security guard and climb up in it anyway.  :)

The entrance to the shop in the park.
We went in to see the artesenia in this little shop at the park.  One of Tino's sisters sells artesenia on one side of the shop.  Mabel and I bought little souvenirs.

After we left we walked all the way downtown.  Mabel was complaining that her feet hurt and that we should take a combi, but Doane and I wanted to walk.  When we got to La Plaza Consitucion, we found that the restaurant we wanted to go to closes early on Sunday.  We ended up walking back to Plaza Real and going to La Rustica.  We ate our food and then went to Plaza Vea to get some things before we went back to La Rustica for karaoke.  Doane left and so only Mabel and I sang karaoke.  We got our usual lemonade and then got some calientitos.  Mabel wanted to try it with whiskey and her face scrunched up when she tried it.  :)  We got to sing a lot of songs since there weren't a whole lot of people there.  Every time after Mabel or I would sing, a group sitting at the bar kept saying that only our table should sing for the rest of the night.  :)  When we left, they told us not to go.  It was fun getting a round of applause every time after we sang!  :)

Tomorrow I'm going to be going up to teach at the mountain school since only Doane and I are left.  Doane said that he's only planning to stay a week or two more.  I don't know what will happen then when I'll be the only volunteer left!!!  Hopefully someone else will come along.

Now off to sleep...buenas noches!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment